Buying a gift for your first grandchild can feel slightly overwhelming. There are so many options for so many styles and so many things that could be opened and put in a corner never to be used again. It might be useful to ask the parents if their nursery has a particular theme they would like gifts to fit in with – is the room full of cuddly jungle animals? Is there underwater wallpaper? Stars of the galaxy on the ceiling? Or is there a very tasteful and simple colour theme that must not be tarnished by anything too bright?
It is also good to consider checking in with others who may be buying new baby gifts such as aunties, uncles, godparents and other grandparents, as you don’t want the family to be inundated with multiples of the same gift.
Below are a few ideas for first time grandparents that may help!
- Memory Book: New parents will find such joy in filling a memory book with their baby’s firsts. See if you can find a scan picture of the baby to pop in the front to get the parents started.
- Something Homemade: If you have any creative talents, now is your time to show them off; and this way you can be sure the baby will have a unique keepsake to remember you by. Knitting socks and hats or embroidering blankets would be a lovely way of showing you care.
- A Newborn Photo Session: Give the parents a voucher for some professional photos of their newborn!
- Something Personalised: If crafting isn’t your area of expertise, don’t feel like you can’t get your grandbaby something distinctive! Have their name and date of birth printed on a Babygro, blanket or toy. There are endless options for personalising beautiful gifts to make them that more special.
- Something from the Parent’s Childhood: Did your child have a first blanket, toy or pair of shoes that have sentimental value that you could regift as an extra special touch?
- Something to Help Baby Sleep: One of the biggest challenges parents will face with a new baby is getting them to sleep, so a gift that will make this even slightly easier will be appreciated. Sound machines, baby-safe sleep sprays or night lights for night-time feeds are sure to be helpful. There are lots of innovative sleep aids available these days which have multiple functions to help babies get to sleep. Try out an Ewan the Dream Sheep or a SnuzCloud sleep aid!
- A Snugglebundl: Not only is the Snugglebundl a priceless gift for parents, but babies love them too! This lift and lay blanket can be transformed into a cosy nap wrap for snoozes on the go or short sleeps at home so the little one stays nice and warm. You can also use the Snugglebundl to rock baby to sleep which they absolutely love!
Meeting your first grandchild is a moment you will remember forever and of course the first thing you want to do is start bonding with them; but remember that the birth of this baby isn’t just a monumental moment for you, but for the parents, other grandparents, aunts, uncles, godparents and maybe even other kids in the family. Tension could arise purely from the amount of love so many people have for this baby, so try not to compare yourself to other grandparents, this can only result in upset. Try to focus on that fact that your beautiful family is growing and that you are now first time grandparents.
Make the most of each moment and enjoy your experience as a new grandparent! Hopefully there will be many more grandkids to come. <3